Nutrients that Support Immune Function
Getting enough nutrients from food and supplements is vital for the health and function of the immune cells. These nutrients help the immune system in several ways: working as an antioxidant to protect healthy cells, supporting growth and activity of immune cells, and producing antibodies.
Studies show that those who are poorly nourished are at a greater risk of bacterial, viral, and other infections.
Learn more about how key nutrients support immune function.
1. Vitamin C – stimulates the formation of antibodies and the activity of white blood cells
2. Iron – a component of enzymes critical for immune cell function.
3. Vitamin A – helps protect against infections by keeping skin and other body tissues healthy.
4. Vitamin D – helps regulate antimicrobial proteins that can directly kill pathogens.
5. Vitamin E – protects the integrity of cell membranes.
6. Zinc – needed for wound healing and supports immune response.