Nine Tips for Healthy Digestion That You Can Do Now
Healthy digestion involves the breaking down and absorption of nutrients without distressing symptoms such as upset stomach, gas, heartburn, nausea, constipation, or diarrhea.
Your food and lifestyle have a direct impact on your digestive health. Improving these factors can support your digestive system’s function and boost your overall health and sense of well-being.
Simple Ways You Can Do Today for Healthy Digestion
You can implement plenty of ways to achieve healthy digestion, and here are simple practices that you can immediately do today.
1. Eat Real Food – There are many ways to start eating real food. Consider a whole diet, limit your processed food intake, and avoid food additives, trans fats, and artificial sweeteners. These will not only improve your digestion but will protect you against digestive diseases as well.
2. Get Plenty of Fiber- A high-fiber diet helps food keep moving through your digestive tract, making you less likely to get constipated.
3. Eliminate the Fats – Fats stay and burn the longest in your system. Decrease your fat intakes, such as junk foods, burgers, fries, and other greasy meals. Be mindful in your cooking. Maybe you can choose steaming over frying most of the time.
4. Stay Hydrated but Drink with Care – Water is essential to good health and normal bowel function. It helps keep stool soft but solid and well-formed. Avoid drinking beverages such as coffee or soda, especially if they trigger your digestive problems.
5. Manage Your Stress – Stress hormones directly affect your digestion. As a result, stress can negatively impact your digestion. In fact, it is linked to irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, constipation, and diarrhea.
6. Eat Slowly and Mindfully – Mindful eating is the practice of paying attention to all aspects of your food and how you eat them. Eating slowly and mindfully may help prevent common digestive issues such as indigestion, bloating, and gas.
7. Chew Your Food Well – Chewing thoroughly breaks down the food more easily. The act of chewing also produces saliva, which aids in mixing food in your stomach properly.
8. Get Moving – Since exercise and gravity help food travel through your digestive system, it can improve your digestion and reduce constipation symptoms. In addition, it can also help reduce inflammation, which can prevent inflammatory bowel conditions.
9. Consider Oral Digestive Enzymes – Consult your doctor for medicines that may help your dyspepsia, such as digestive enzymes.
Oral digestive enzyme supplements aid in the digestive process reducing symptoms of indigestion. Digestive enzyme supplementation is also reported to significantly reduce symptoms of flatulence, bloating, belching, and fullness after meals.
In case of recurring symptoms of indigestion, it is best to consult your doctor for appropriate evaluation and management.
Having a healthy digestion is an effective way to improve your overall health. Paying attention to the above tips can make a huge difference.